About half of all churches looking to expand or relocate have a set of architectural drawings lying around their church offices. Most of these documents cost the church upwards of $50,000 just to be drawn up, but the drawings were never used to build the new facility. More times than not this situation is due to the fact that the architect couldn’t bring them at or below the church’s building budget; therefore, the bids came in, were too high and the building was never constructed. This predicament can often be avoided by using the Design Build delivery method when considering new construction for your church or worship facility.
Using the design build method you can cut your architectural fees considerably only paying about 10%-20% of the architectural fees. You will still receive a design, 3-D renderings and a contract price that will allow you to actually use the drawings to construct your new facility. Additionally, since the contractor is so actively involved with the design process and has a good understanding of the material and labor costs, the price to actually build the design will most likely be under your original building budget. This is assuming that there weren’t a lot of additions that require a considerable amount of extra work that wasn’t accounted for during the design phase.
Other advantages to choosing the Design-build process for your Church’s building needs are:
- A Design Build Contractor allows for cost control and value engineering.
- Design Build (conventional construction as well as pre-engineered building systems) is an ideal way to increase communication, eliminate extra steps, condense timelines, and add bottom-line savings.
- Single source responsibility and accountability throughout the church and worship facility project
- Dedicated Construction Management and project management
- Saves money and time by developing a team design-build relationship between the owner, architect, and general contractor.
- Reduces pre-construction time by reducing the drawn out bidding process.
- Fewer changes ordered because the pre-construction and construction management team approach has reduced the number of oversights in the design phase.
Since 1984, Marsh/Bell Construction Co. has been a leader in design build projects, with a respected history in construction of all types of worship facilities – including sanctuaries, education wings, family life centers and gymnasiums. While many contractors avoid church projects because of the committee structure used by most congregations, Marsh/Bell Construction understands committees and that our meeting times will need to be flexible to meet the scheduling needs of committee members and pastors. From early on in the project, Marsh/Bell Construction Co. will provide pre-construction and construction management services that will work with your church building committee to reduce cost and ensure your vision is understood.
What separates us from other contractors is that we view our church projects as a company ministry, and that we share the same goals as your church in regards to outreach and missions. With over 850 successful building projects under our belt, we’re confident that we can provide a superior experience for your construction project needs as well as help to turn your dreams of the perfect worship space for your congregation into reality.
For more pictures and examples of worship facilities completed by Marsh Bell Construction Co. please click here.